Action Ambrose

Action Ambrose

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Mini Sprints

01/20/2010, Thursday

Nice day to go for a ride.  Ambrose was saddled and left barefoot as we are going just on hillsides and softer ground.  Couple hundred yards away from the barn is a pretty big pasture with a nice incline that is about 1/4 mile long.  I used to use this hill quite a bit with MONK doing up to 5 miles.  Today we started off trotting up to the top and then walking down.  The trail is still a little slippery but we worked our speed up gradually so that we actually cantered to the top and trotted down.  I have my HR monitor high HR set for 185, Ambrose would hit the alarm just after reaching the top.  Remember that HR monitors have about a 5 second lag time.  As you reach the top of the hill you will be at 180, as you slow to a walk you will see the monitor hit 185 or more before it starts to go back down.  On repeats what I use for a recovery HR is 120 in 90 seconds.  Ambrose did 4 miles and his recovery was about 50 seconds almost every time.  As soon as he hits the recovery I pick up the trot back down to the bottom.  You could tell when he was getting bored as he started to want to go home so decided to go booney crashing, which we did.  We did another two miles of some serious hill walking....    I was going to work on helping him learn to stop but that sounded pretty boring for such a nice day, as long as he goes where I point him and he rates I feel good about it for now.

Another nice day on a GOOD horse...

No comments:

Post a Comment